The summer is slowly setting in, the birds are singing and the sun is shining. To celebrate the sunny days, Pia suggests you to make her Alsatian strawberry tart’s recipe !
For the pastry cream :
500 ml of milk (cow or vegetable milk)
1 vanilla bean
6 medium egg yolks
100 g of superfine sugar
40 g of corn starch
50 g of butter
For the sweet shortcrust pastry :
250 g of flour
125 g of butter
80 g of sugar
1 pinch of salt
For the filling :
500g of strawberries (or more for the gourmand)
Step 1: To make the pastry cream
- Split the vanilla pod in half and bring to a simmer with the milk. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the sugar, egg yolks and cornflour together.
- Pour the milk over the mixture and stir well.
- Pour into the pan and put back on the heat without stopping to whisk, the cream will thicken after a few seconds.
- Remove from the heat, add the chopped butter and mix.
- Pour into a salad bowl, filter on contact. Leave to cool and then place in a cool place.
Step 2: To make the sweet shortcrust pastry
- Turn on the oven to 180°C (thermostat 6).
- In a bowl, mix the egg with the caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Put the flour on the work surface and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into the well, followed by the melted butter (note: the butter must not be liquid!).
- Knead the dough until it is smooth. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Bake the dough for 12 to 15 minutes, then leave to cool.
Step 3 : To lay out the tart
- Wash the strawberries quickly, then drain and hull the strawberries.
- When the tart base has cooled, spread the cooled pastry cream over it.
- Place the halved strawberries on the custard.
Étape 4 : Taste and enjoy !
Paul’s advice :
- You can add a few chopped basil leaves to your pie for presentation.
- You can store the custard for 24 hours and use it for other gourmet recipes, such as cream puffs.